Is Methylsulfonylmethane Just Another Fad?
We are constantly bombarded by new information on our diets and what we should or should not be eating. It can become confusing, with so many contradictory views floating around and many of the so called dietary breakthroughs later being di 00004000 smissed as either fads or downright harmful to the body.
Even the word Methylsulfonylmethane seems designed to confuse and impress us. Lets get this out of the way by calling it MSM, as it is generally known. What is MSM? It is basically a sulphur compound that occurs in all animal or vegetable foods. Sulphur is one of the most common elements in our bodies, but because it works quietly in the background and provides most of its benefits by aiding other metabolic processes, it is often ignored. Our metabolisms are nothing more than an incredibly huge and ongoing series of chemical reactions and sulphur is one of the key elements in these reactions. Reduce the sulphur, or MSM, levels in the body and the efficiency of the chemical reactions is reduced accordingly.
What exactly does MSM do or assist in? Here’s a partial list:
– It helps in collagen synthesis. Collagen is the substance that keeps our skin soft, hair smooth and glossy and keeps out finger and toe nails from becoming hard and brittle.
– It helps to keep tissue soft and flexible and is effective in preventing or relieving the symptoms of arthritis, asthma, stress, muscle and joint inflammation, constipation, and candida.
– It increases the blood circulation and in the process helps to detoxify the system. Increased blood circulation also allows more oxygen to be carried in the blood which increase energy levels, mental alertness, concentration levels and tissue development.
– It helps damaged muscles and other tissue to heal and prevents muscles cramps, back pain, and stiff joints.
– It enables the liver to produce choline, increase the amount of insulin the body produces, coats the stomach and intestinal tract with a protective film that makes it more difficult for parasites to cling onto the stomach and intestinal walls, controls excessive acidity in the digestive system and reduces the amount of negative reactions that certain drugs and medical formulation can cause in some people.
– It also enables the body to better resists allergies caused by food or pollen and speeds up the healing of wounds, bruises and abrasions.
Research on MSM is still ongoing and more benefits will keep emerging.
The body produces some amount of MSM but this is not enough for the metabolic needs. MSM is to be found in all forms of meat and vegetable in their raw state. Unfortunately, any kind of processing, including cooking, destroys the sulphur in the food. While eating raw salads will help in maintaining the sulphur levels in the body, the problem lies in the fact that other parts of our diets are made up of cooked foods. No one wants to eat raw meat and vegetables. In fact, studies have found that eating habits in Europe and America, where most foods are processed in some for or another, do not allow for adequate sulphur intake. The solution to this is to take MSM supplements. There are in convenient pill or liquid form and can be taken by everyone.
The average daily intake of MSM for an adult of normal health is approximately 2 grams. However, in the case of therapeutic use, it can, under the advice of a qualified medical practitioner, be increased. Medically supervised high dosages of MSM have been found to be effective in not just prevent the problems outlined above, but in speeding up the cure for the conditions, if they have occurred.
With all the benefits of MSM, it safe to say that it is not just another fad.
Can Diet Help With Fibroids In The Uterus? What To Eat And Drink Fibroids in the uterus are very common and affect many women during childbearing years. This non-cancerous, solid tumor can grow in the womb. Many women ask, “can diet help with fibroids in the uterus?” and the answer is that it can, but […]
Ovarian Cysts – What They Are And How They Affect You If you have experienced ovarian cysts at one time or another, they either went away on their own or they caused you significant pain and discomfort. In order to plan the best way of action, you need information on ovarian cysts – what they […]
Natural Cures for fibroids – Natural Foods To Help Shrink and cure Fibroids Early detection of uterine fibroids is beneficial to cure women suffering from it simply because fibroids natural cure could be actually available right at their homes, and they can make use of these to prevent the progress of the condition. These natural cure will […]
Apple Cider Vinegar and fibroids Although natural apple cider vinegar and the cure for fibroids are thought to be related with each other, yet there is no scientific evidence that supports the improvement of fibroids, so we can not say it is a nature cure for the disease. It is just an urban myth. Also, we […]